Thursday, May 1, 2014

Just GET OUT! My Birth Story

I'm a tad late posting this, but the beautiful ladies at The Lounge gave us the prompt 'Midwife' for this week, so fate was telling me the time had come! I wish I’d done this back in August, or September, or anytime around when Diddy was born, but I seem to spend so many days either busy with the girls or in a fog of tiredness, and I’m only just now beginning to feel competent to tell the story of how our girl Diddy joined us in the world.

On Sunday 18th August, 5 days after my due date, I started feeling Braxton Hicks contractions quite strongly at around 4am. I drifted in and out of sleep, determined to have some rest before our new little person joined us and sure it’d be soon. At 7am I woke Husbeast and told him that if the pains kept up, we’d probably have to drop Bozo home early, as I didn’t want to be trying to find him a ride home while we here heading to the hospital. 

Sick of all the messages and calls, I'd been posting daily
Instagram Photos tagged #stillpregnant

That morning, we went for a walk and I kept getting niggly, uncomfortable pains in my lower back so at midday I told Husbeast to call Bozo’s mother and let her know we were on our way. She proceeded to pout, but I didn’t much care. He was leaving for school camp at 6am the next day, so it wasn’t going to matter if he got home early to pack and rest!

On the way home, the pains slowed down and eventually stopped. We’d been in the car for an hour at that stage and I was desperate to move around and get things going – I felt silly having started a fuss if it was a false alarm! I kept getting pains every half hour or so for the rest of the day and went to bed around 9pm. By this stage, I was hoping it’d be another day or so as Boo’s first orientation session at school was the next day and I was scared I’d miss it.

My last Pregnant photo, taken on the Sunday night
Around 3am, the pains started again. I didn’t want to wake Husbeast unless I had to, so between 3am and 5.45 I timed contractions. They were still irregular, but were between 3 and 5 minutes apart and very uncomfortable! At 5.45, I woke Husbeast and asked him to ring the hospital. We live an hour away from where I delivered so I didn’t want to leave things too late. The midwife on duty told Husbeast to stay home but to call if the contractions got regular as it sounded like things were on the move. 

Tired and in pain, I decided it was time to call my Mum just before 7am to come and be with Boo. It wasn’t going to be long. While I rang her, I was hopping into a hot bath and by the time we’d hung up I knew things were happening. It was like a change happened. The next two contractions were much stronger and happened less than 4 minutes apart! I heaved out of the bath and got dressed. As Mum arrived, Husbeast was making porridge for himself and Boo (who’d woken to see what all the fus was about) and Mum watched me leaning over the sofa in pain then announced to Husbeast that it was time to go, my contractions were 3 minutes apart and we still had an hour to travel!

I had a cupful of ice cubes that I crunched while we were in the car. As we were leaving town, I called the hospital to let them know we were coming. The midwife told me to try and stay home as long as possible, and I told her too late, we were on our way.

Halfway to our birthing hospital, I was telling Husbeast to pull over. Our car was old, and seemed to be hitting every bump along the way. My contractions were 2.5 minutes apart and I was scared I’d be giving birth on the roadside in an ’89 Falcon! However, when he asked if I was serious (right as another contraction hit!) I shook my head and we kept going. I know he wanted to stop and call an ambulance, but in our rural area that could have taken much longer than soldiering on.

When we reached the hospital not long before 9am we parked right out the front in the 2hr parking (the only available parking at this hospital) are Husbeast helped me up to the Labour ward. Right as we entered the ward a humungous contraction ripped through me and I knelt down in the corridor. I couldn’t keep going! A Midwife came to us and helped me the last few metres into the birthing suite where I was met by Lisa, my birthing midwife, and Kim, a student midwife. I was Kim’s 17th birth, she told us as she timed contractions and checked Diddy’s heartbeat. Everything was OK and my contractions were 2 minutes apart, and when checked I was 5cm dilated! After my super long labour with Boo (4 days all up!) I was telling myself it was ages away, so I changed into a nightie and knelt up over the back of the bed with the Gas tube to ride it out.

Husbeast found my TENS machine and got that going on my back and it was like a miracle! I could think again! But the gas was making me loopy, slurry and sick. Kim and Husbeast sat with me while I threw up, and then I lay on my side, cuddling Husbeast and trying to convince myself I had hours to go! 

Not long before 10.30, I told Husbeast I thought I had to push, scared that I was going to be told ‘don’t be silly, you can’t be!’ by the midwives like I was during Boo’s birth. Instead, Lisa told Kim ‘never ignore a Mum who says she’s ready to push’ and gave me a quick check. Yes, I was 10cm, time to go!

Still flashing back to Boo’s birth, I was sure it’d be hours of pain and exhaustion. Boo took 2 hours of pushing and ventouse extraction to join us in the world. Regardless, I lay on my side, held Husbeasts hand and pushed as hard as I could, trying my hardest not to scream. During the first push my waters broke from the pressure, hard enough that they hit the wall and just barely missed Lisa as she moved out of the way! Between contractions, I remember being quite relaxed. My little girl would be with us today! After 3 pushes, Lisa and Kim told me they could see the head, but I told them not to get too excited, it’d go away again! The looked at me in confusion and after the next push I explained about Boo. Lisa told me the next push would get the head out and as it came I pushed, begging my little girl to come. After the push, I heard little gurgling sounds. Husbeast and the midwives were giggling – not even fully born and our little girl was chatting! 

My little girl
‘One more Tara, she’s coming!’ I pushed and felt a huge release of tension as Lisa lifted my little person onto my chest. She was here! Our little girl had come to be with us. The relief and exhaustion washed over me as I held my little girl close and smiled.
First Photo of Many!

 Later on, Kim told me she’d come out with one hand above her head which explained a small tear I had which needed stitching. We had a good laugh about that – my baby came out waving and talking, guess she wanted to make a grand entrance! 

I’m glad I finally got a chance to share this birth story. Thanks to the girls at The Lounge for the inspiration - Robomum is hosting this week, pop over and say Hi for me! I’m also sharing this post over at Thankful Thursday with A Parenting Life. I’m so thankful that Diddy’s birth was much shorter and a much more positive experience than Boo’s. My midwives were absolute saints and made everything so breezy, peaceful and happy!


  1. Wonderful birth story!!
    Love that the waters hit the other wall!!
    My no.3 son also birthed his arm up by his head too!!
    Hope things are going well for you!!

  2. So glad you made it to the hospital in time, and that you didn't have to wait too long for Diddy to make her appearance. Thanks for joining in with #thankfulthursday

  3. Just lovely and about as textbook as you can hope for. One of your lines completely sums up labour: "a humungous contraction ripped through me" Yep. That's about right! And I completely agree with you on another thing, midwives are absolute saints. Your little one is just beautiful! Cheers for linking up today. X

  4. Nice work making it to the hospital on time and in to the delivery suite! Friends of mine who had their second baby two months before Zee only just made it to the carpark and no further, bubs was born in the car!

    Punky was born with her arm around the back of her neck and hand pointing up. She cause me a nice 3rd degree tear with internal stitches and you can bet your bottom dollar she'll be hearing about that as the time comes!

  5. Oh wow, I don't know if I could handle being 1 hour away from the hospital. My partner lived 30 minutes away and I was freaking out about him not being there. I love that your little one came into the world chatting, that's just gorgeous.

  6. Thanks for sharing, I love a good birth story. I think it's so funny she came out waving and talking!

  7. Another midwife named Lisa-yay! A lovely story, I think the first birth always leaves such an impression on you, congrats on the 2nd bubba coming into the world waving & smiling xx

  8. What a lovely birth story, these are my favourite. I'm thankful you were able to share it with us xx